book recommendations

Subject: book recommendations
From: "Antico, Tricia" <tricia -dot- antico -at- bain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:46:01 -0500

Dan Roberts wrote:

"I was browsing around on Amazon and found these titles. Can anyone provide
comments about them, either pro or con?

"Starting a Documentation Group" by Peter Martman
"Untechnical Writing" by Michael Brener
"The User Manual Manual" by Michael Brener
"TW 101: a Real World Guide" Alan S Pringle
"Writing Software Documentation" by Thomas T Barker

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!"

Dan, the author of "Starting a Documentation Group" is Peter Hartman (with
an "H"). I own this book and do recommend it--however, I am not unbiased--my
husband was the project leader/graphic designer/marketing dude who worked
with Mr. Hartman to publish this book through Clear Point Press. :-)

Nepotism aside, my impressions of this book were favorable--it's easy to
follow and is especially adept with its advice on *managing* documentation
projects.

I also own Barker's "Writing Software Documentation" (I have no familial
relations to this author!) and I love it. I'm a tech writer primarily (not a
project manager), and the book is a useful nuts-n-bolts resource for those
of us on the development end of documentation. It also provides discussion
on planning both paper-based and online docs, which is great if you develop
both (as I do).

_________________________________
Tricia Antico, Online Course Developer
Bain & Co.
Two Copley Place
Boston, MA 02116
phone: 617.572.2703 fax: 617.880.0703

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named. Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message. Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company. When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.