Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?

Subject: Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:29:01 -0800 (PST)

Since most of the times I'm documenting windows software, I found
that Visio is excellent for creating mockups of UIs. There are a set
of windows elemenmts that allow you to create the interface that the
user would see in the application, before any code is developed
(screens, dialogs, message boxes, you name it.

I found it especialy valuable when doing Functional Specifications.
Along with the user and the developer, I used Vision to create the
screens exactly as they would see it when developed, then the
programmer would use the illustration to develop the code behind it.

Everything in the toolkit was based on interface elements that the
developer could implement. It got to the point in one project that we
often couldn't tell which was the mockup and which was the screen
capture of the actual application.

> > A writer should know how to convey information - some information
> > is suited for prose, some for tables and lists and some is best
> > presented graphically.
> >
> > Is a writer who cannot develop graphic content lacking an
> > essential skill?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/