Re: Click here

Subject: Re: Click here
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:45:29 -0800

At 02:40 PM 1/4/01 -0500, you wrote:

I am developing a web based training, and throughout the training I
advise the learner to "Click here" to access additional information. For
instance "Click here to go to the top of the page." "Click here to
access navigation tips." A co-worker claims that "Click here" is
archaic, that I should just say "Top" and "Navigation Tips." I disagree.
What are your thoughts?

I don't consider it archaic so much as less helpful -- if Click here is the part in a different color (or underlined, or whatever) then it's not helping the user very much. When you scan the page, you just see a bunch of "click here", instead of the actual topic.

I prefer help (and web sites) where all the extraneous words (like "click here") are removed, so there isn't so much fluff in the way of the real meaty information.

"Click here" is actually kind of one of my pet peeves. :)

-Katie

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.