RE: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)

Subject: RE: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 06:40:51 +1000

Connie Giordano asked:

Why do so many tech writers limit themselves to
after-the-design content issues?

I think the main reasons is that many companies, departments, or projects won't *allow* tech writers to give input into the design of the product, or don't pay any attention to the input. Even if staff writers are part of the design team, contract writers may not be (at least partly because many contract writers are brought onto the project too late to have any input considered).

As both a staff and contract writer, I have spent many frustrating hours over the years attempting to get my input taken seriously. The pointy-haired bosses really are quite common in the real world, you know.

You're missing out on great opportunities to ...
really do a service for your customers and/or users.

Yes, and many (most?) of us don't like that situation, but usually we didn't choose it and often we try to change it.

The rest of what you've said (and said well, too) is just what most of us tell management all the time, unless we've given up and decided that *not* beating your head against the wall feels much better.

Cheers, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/
Now available: Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of contents, go to: http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/olhbk.htm

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.