RE: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)

Subject: RE: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:17:53 -0500

I never meant to imply that just writers were somehow less talented, worthy,
or anything else than the Renaissance types. It obviously didn't come
across that way, and for that I apologize.

My post was directed at the endless tirades from writers who complain about
getting no respect, and doing nothing to further their own position or
provide feedback early in the process. The same type of poster then flames
those of us who don't spend hours writing DTDs and templates and arguing
about the conjugation of verbs. That stuff doesn't matter one iota if the
users can't use the product. IMHO, docs aren't the be-all and end-all,
usable products are. There still seems to be a conflict between those that
appear to "settle for" a writing position, those that believe it's the
ultimate goal, and those that believe it's one part of a bigger picture.
I've chosen the latter, I respect the second, and I pity those that fall
into the first.

I do contend that the industry is large enough that the "just writers" and
"just editors" have an appropriate and valuable niche, just as those of us
who want to and do aim to integrate writing, design, and support resources
to design a better product in the first place.

Don't flame me because I want to move into areas beyond writing, and I won't
flame you because you have found your niche as primarily a writer. We all
have our talents, and our goals for best using those talents. And there is
plenty of room out there for all of us.

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb