Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:53:07 -0800

nancy wrote:

> So before you all continue to "pooh, pooh" those of us with S-L-O-W modems,
> just wait. Someday you may have to live with older technology for a while,
> whether you want to or not. One CAN still produce quality work on an older
> system. It just takes a bit more patience.

Living in the middle of high tech, interacting with gadget-crazy
geeks, it's very easy to think that what you see everyday is the
norm. As this thread clearly shows, it isn't. If nothing else,
that's a useful lesson in perspective.

Finally, I can't resist adding my suspicion that, while hardware
improvements have increased geometrically, productivity has
increased arithmetically (and, on some days, I suspect that it is
totally static). A person working in MS Word 6.0 is not noticeably
less productive than a person with the latest version of the
And, except for the need of retaining compatibility with
ever-shifting standards, I can't think of any real reason to upgrade
if what you have meets your needs.

Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"Rationality itself, tied to moral decency - the most powerful joint
instrument for good that our planet has ever known."
-Stephen J. Gould, Introduction, "Why People Believe Weird Things"