Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Re: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:59:01 -0600

John Posada wrote: "The cost of 56 modems is what...about the same as what
we bill or
earn in two hours or less? Just from the standpoint of getting things
done faster, is it not worth the cost savings from 2 hours of
increased productivity to upgrade?"

Hate to extend this thread further, but...

It's not just the cost that deters some people.

Most home users will never see the inside of their PC. For them, upgrading
means unhooking all those cables nestled amongst the dust bunnies behind
the desk, lugging their computer to their car, driving to a place like Best
Buy, and paying somebody to install new hardware--possibly leaving them
without their computer for a day or two. The inconvenience outweighs the
perceived benefit.

I know a couple--one of them a programmer, both of them middle-class--who
have limped along on awful hardware for years. A flickering generic 14"
monitor, a 28.8 modem that can't even go that fast on their slow rural
connection, slow processor... yet they don't seem to mind it much.
(Actually, that modem speed is only my guess. When I asked them what speed
their modem was, they didn't know.) I have better components collecting
dust in my closet than they have in their working PC. Go figure....

Christine Anameier