RE: Creating a list from Windows NT

Subject: RE: Creating a list from Windows NT
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:23:17 -0800

Ruth Lundquist wonders:
> ... I use Windows NT Explorer. I have a folder that contains 700
> unique files. I would like to get a list of those files into
> Word or Excel.
>
> Is there a way to do this without retyping each file name
> into Word or Excel?

This is a case where the GUI loses functionality that the command-line
system made easy. Sometimes being old has its advantages! ;-)

Open an MS-DOS window and navigate to the directory in which
the files are stored.

At the c prompt, type: dir > filename.txt
(where filename.txt is the name, including full path if necessary, to
assign to the text file in which the directory listing will be stored)
Note that the system will not echo the directory listing onto the screen
so it looks like you've done nothing.

The system creates the text file with the full directory listing in it.
You can then open the file in Word, Excel, or Notepad and edit it
accordingly.

PS: You're going to get columns separated by spaces. Word can still
perform a column delete, even though it isn't documented any more.
Position the cursor at the top left of the column to be deleted,
hold down Alt, click and drag the mouse cursor to highlight the
column to be deleted, press Delete.

TaDaaaaa!

HTH!
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy