Re: Invisible tables in Word?

Subject: Re: Invisible tables in Word?
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:18:55 -0700

re: In Table Properties, change the border color to white. ... That's
perfect! And so "Zen" in its simplicity...

But wait, grasshopper. This assumes, of course, the receiver of the
document has his/her background color set to white, i.e., hasn't selected
the blue background, white text option.

The first respondent provided the best solution by cautioning that WORD is
not a good vehicle for sending documents to others. S/he suggested pdf is
better and I agree. If the document in question has lots of tables, it
would take less time to convert it to pdf than to change all the tables. Of
course you have to have Acrobat, but you should if you're regularly
transmitting electronic files for screen viewing. Your recipients, of
course, are pretty likely to have the reader since it's free.

It's a relatively minor point for sure, but in my view the person that sends
WORD files electronically for screen viewing (or even printing) by the
recipient is someone that's not much of a WORD expert. Table borders is
just one of many formatting choices the recipient may not have configured
the same as the sender. And, why would one be so concerned with table
borders when the receiver could have nonprinting characters turned on, which
surely makes more of a mess than borders. The purpose of WORD is to prepare
documents for printing at the same workstation at which they were
created--if you want the recipient to view the document the same way you
view it with no exceptions, send them paper.

At our firm we use Outlook, another MS product, and I'm always amused when
unsophisticated folks send e-mail that is nothing but a blank page with a
WORD attachment. They could have copy/pasted the entire text into the body
of the e-mail message and most if not all of the formatting would have been
just fine and I wouldn't have had to click the attachment icon and then wait
for WORD and the file to load.