RE: Industry Standard?

Subject: RE: Industry Standard?
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:00:54 -0000

>Deborah Cooper wrote "I'm curious to know if FrameMaker, Word, or some
other
>package is the industry standard for TW's?..."

Martin Smith From Croydon responded (to mix my universes lavishly)
>Danger Will Robinson. Danger. Yes, FrameMaker, Word, and other packages is
the
>industry standard.

Nice one!

Deborah, as you'll have gathered, you asked the wrong question! There is no
industry standard, nor should there be. However, most companies will each
have their own set of standards, and this will include the software packages
that technical writers are required to use to create documentation.

If you want to know which is the most favoured package for a specific type
of job, or which is the most widely used, or some other specific question
which actually has an answer instead of a koan, you might want to rephrase
the question (and ask people to answer offlist and offer to post a
summary)...

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.
It is Infinitely Improbable that this sentence will end with anything but a
full stop - fortunately!