Re: Web admin duties

Subject: Re: Web admin duties
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:58:48 -0600

>I've been given the title of web admin

Another case of title not fitting the job, but that's OK.

>We are going to get rid of the tab images that are not consistent
>throughout the site and replace it with a simpler drop-down Java script
>menu type header.

Thereby alienating those who either don't support javascript or choose to
have js turned off. The numbers may not be large, but that's something to
think about before turning to an "only one way" approach.

>Do we want to stay with frames or should we be looking at templates
>or other format layouts?

I've rarely seen a layout that used frames effectively. Almost all uses
hinder navigation, and save very little time, as they simply frame images
that would already be in the browser's cache, so wouldn't need to be
downloaded again, anyway. Among other things, frames play havoc with user's
bookmarks. My advice? If you *must* keep the frames, keep them in a very
dark place. ;{>}

>Do we want to use Java script with a 128b link speed?

Depends on what you do with it. Measure the size and count the cost.

Jeff Veen has a new book out now, whose name escapes me, that might be
useful for you.

Before you tinker with the site design, decide who your audience is and
what they want. Then redesign with those factors in mind. That should
clarify all the rest of your decisions.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224