RE: Web based application naming conventions

Subject: RE: Web based application naming conventions
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:36:48 -0500

Claire Philpott asks:

>>To what do I refer for a web based application?
>>"Services are defined in the Services Definition page."
>>or
>>"Services are defined in the Services Definition screen."

Forgive me if I seem a little late to this discussion because I did not
receive the digest where the original message appeared.

Perhaps the Web-based apps you and others write about are different than
those I write about but I use the term "windows" instead of page, screen,
form, or any other permutation.

The reason I do this is that the application is still a windows app and with
few exceptions, these entities look like and act like windows (and dialog
boxes). They don't look like the typical Web pages with a gazillion bells
and whistles. The Web is simply the method of delivering the app and its
windows to the remote users. From the perspective of the user, they are
using a Web browser to access a windows app on a remote server.

I also use all the other MS Windows terminology to name the other elements
of the windows. Its a neat, simple, standard, and easy to use set of
terminology.

In a few instances where the user is entering information in a window that
looks like a form (we write apps for the health care industry and it is
notorious for forms) I might use the word form. However, that's anpther
story.

Why use or invent new terms when the old standbys suffice?

H. Jim Hager
Deloitte Consulting
Pittsburgh Solution Center
hhager -at- dc -dot- com

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this