A comment on the apostrophe

Subject: A comment on the apostrophe
From: "Brian Hoskins" <bhoskins -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:50:23 +1100

I have just been catching up with this list and am surprised that no one has
commented on this gem:

"That would be equivalent to a programmer expecting everyone to know how to
use a computer fluidly."

I wonder if the fluid referred to is what we down under call the 'amber
fluid'. Knowing our developers, though, I would suspect it to be coke.
Perhaps 'fluently' was the intended word. This must rank with 'hone in on'
and 'one fowl swoop' as an interesting combination.

On the subject of the thread is a quote from Robert Burchfield, editor of
the OED Supplement. "The apostrophe was only a moderately successful device,
and it is probably coming to the end of its usefulness, certainly for
forming plurals and marking possession. It may only be retained for
contractions."

Regards

Brian Hoskins