Re: Nit picky grammar question

Subject: Re: Nit picky grammar question
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:34:54 -0600

Re: "Where are your headquarters?" vs. "Where is your headquarters?"

I don't think grammatical correctness is the real issue here. Reader
distraction is. Whether you choose "is" or "are," many of your readers are
going to stumble over the phrase and wonder whether it's correct.

I agree with those who suggested rephrasing it:
"What is the location of your company's headquarters?"
"Where is your company based?"
or more tersely (in a form, for example): "Location of headquarters: _____"
or "Headquarters location: ________"

Christine Anameier