Point-numbered pages in Word

Subject: Point-numbered pages in Word
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:14:02 -0500

Hello,

_Background:_ Our doc group publishes user guides for internal system users. These guides are updated fairly frequently, and we distribute just the updated pages or sections to the users (who maintain their own guides).

With this method of user guide maintenance, when we need to add sections, our publishers create point-numbered pages to avoid re-printing unaffected pages. (Example, when updating a process on page 41, they add pages 41.1, 41.2, 41.3, etc., so that page 42 is not affected and does not have to be re-printed).

_The question:_ Right now, they manually add each point-numbered page in Word. Is there a way to get Word to recognize point-numbered pages? Is Word capable of incorporating point-numbered pages into its auto-numbering feature?

Moving forward, I'd like to see our group take advantage of at least some of the features in Word (*challenging though they may be at times*) such as page numbering, TOC automation, even styles, etc. So, any information you can offer will be appreciated!

Please reply directly or cc me, as I receive the digest. Thank you!

Regards,
Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer
Paychex, Inc.
Rochester, NY USA
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and not of Paychex, Inc.