RE: Framemaker, Word and Robohelp

Subject: RE: Framemaker, Word and Robohelp
From: <christopher -dot- borresen -at- tellabs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:16:07 -0600

"Eichelberger, Mark C. -AFTECH" <EichelbergerM -at- AFTECH -dot- com> wrote in
news:86716 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> We are currently using Word 2000 to create source documents which are
> converted to Adobe PDF format for distribution to clients via CD-ROM.

Framemaker and Adobe Distiller do a great job of creating PDF files.
Framemaker takes very little time to learn, especially with previous
word processing experience. I recommend taking a beginner/intermediate
course to cover the basics.

<There are those who swear by FrameMaker and WebWorks Publisher. I've
been in an environment where that combination was used, but I've done
testing. If you think FrameMaker has a steep learning curve.....>

This is the environment I learned first and I just created my first
help file with WWP after three months on the job and no previous tech
writing experience. I'd call that a pretty intuitive environment.

<A final note: while FrameMaker is great for those long documents, it
the be-all-end-all, and has its issues of its own, inlcuding crashes,
an obtuse interface...>

We run Windows NT 4 on IBM Thinkpads and I have not seen Framemaker
crash yet. I agree that the UI is obtuse, but it's also simple and not
cluttered. Geez, I sound like an Adobe rep.

Chris Borresen
Associate Technical Writer

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.