RE: For Hardware TWs - a question

Subject: RE: For Hardware TWs - a question
From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:37:48 -0000

Joanne Meehl wrote:

> Normally I document software but a new project involves
> revising all docs
> for a hardware-based product. In the existing User Guide,
> near the very
> front of the book, there's a page called "Declaration of
> Conformity". It's a
> form, of sorts, filled out and signed by a QA engineer in our
> company.
> My questions: What is this? And is this an appropriate place for it?
> Anything that will increase my knowledge about writing for a
> hardware (with
> some software) product would be great.
---
Caveat: The information that follows is given to the best of my knowledge
and belief, but with neither implied nor specific guarantees.

Is your product for export to Europe? In EU, manufacturers must declare that
their product conforms to the requirements of all applicable CE marking
directives. Only Europeans can make this declaration, which they must be
able to substantiate if challenged, and apply a CE mark. If you're an
American (or other non-European) company, your European agent must make this
declaration. A copy of the declaration of conformity must accompany the
product, which is why most companies put it in the manual.

This is complex legislation. Manuals for mechanical products must conform to
certain requirements, most other product classes don't have such constraints
on the manuals. I've had a quick look at the datum.com website and guess
that you're timing equipment doesn't count as 'mechanical product' for CE
marking purposes. However, if you're revising the documentation, the chances
are that the product has changed. This may be enough that the current
declaration of conformity no longer applies and you should ask whether a new
declaration is required.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK