RE: Agency warning signs

Subject: RE: Agency warning signs
From: "Adria Quinones" <adriaq -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:28:51 -0500

My agency-from-hell (here in NYC, presently doing business under a new
name) looked like legitimate. They had a big reputation and lots of
jobs.

My experience:

They had a 30-day lead time on payroll. I had to submit two different
timesheets, one to the people I worked for, one to the agency. The
agency regularly lost my checks, mailed them to incorrect addresses,
etc. until I lost my temper and asked them why I shouldn't walk off the
job immediately. (Fortunately my direct boss was terrific. He told the
agency he would never use them again if I walked, hinted the company
might look into legal action and solved my problems by getting them to
agree to allow the company to pay me directly, instead of the agency.
Soon after the company bought my contract and "freed" me.)

I've worked for other agencies since and I never gotten more than 50% of
what they were paid by the client. I've heard "overhead" and
"management" as explanation, but mostly I've shown up, designed the
project, done the work and the only management has been a check issued.
(No benefits, no sick time or vacation, either.) I'd work for an agency
again, but I like to have a reference.

Adria Quinones

The above are my views and in no way meant to reflect on all the
upstanding free-market agencies that are out there protecting workers
rights.