Re: Best remote tools for tech. writing

Subject: Re: Best remote tools for tech. writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:45:48 -0800

"Le Vie, DonaldX S" wrote:

> 3. Upgrade to cable modem or DSL if you haven't already
> 4. Invest in a 100 MB or 250 MB Zip drive

Both these are good suggestions. However, I'd also add: some kind of
secure remote file transfer, whether a command like tool like ssh or
a GUI like tarantella. And, if you're not the only one at home,
consider adding a second phone line for business purposes.

Otherwise, I can't think of any tools that are specific to remote

However, I do suggest regular visits - at least once per month - to
the office to talk to people directly and re-establish contacts. The
less often you go, the longer the hours and the more intense you can
expect the visits to be.

Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set
And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.'"
-Robert Browning

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.