RE: Calling javadoc from within HTML Help

Subject: RE: Calling javadoc from within HTML Help
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:45:08 -0800

> Subject: Calling javadoc from within HTML Help
> [I] would like to be able to link to that documentation from
> within an HTML Help
> project. When I call a javadoc page from within HTML Help, it
> is displayed
> correctly, but I can't follow any of the links on the javadoc
> page (page not
> found error). Does anyone have experience doing this, or
> with linking to
> local HTML pages from within HTML Help?

While far from an expert, I've been fiddling with this lately.

The problem lies within the HTML help spec. You can only call external html
files with a fixed (i.e. not relative) path. Javadoc generates the
documentaion with relative path links. I don't know for sure, but I doubt
you can change this, since it has to do with the way java is structured,
class hierarchies=path, etc.

The exact behavior you are seeing is probably explained by the whole
relative path thing. There are some workarounds that should work which I
have not tried yet, and many things I have tried that don't work.

I've found that importing the html files into the HAT really blows. The best
way to make a CHM out of the Javadoc (if it comes to that) is by using HTML
help workshop. It will keep the javadoc .css and does the cleanest job of
any HAT for that. Then you should be able to specify a secondary window to
call the index.html file of the Javadoc generated pages contained in the
other CHM. The process for doing this might vary from one HAT to another.

I am currently using ForeHelp, so I can pass along the instructions for
diong it in forehelp if you can't find any RH specific instructions. Also,
the ehelp helpcommunity forums might be a good place to check for some howto
info.

Richard Smith