Warnings redux: beware that microwave oven!

Subject: Warnings redux: beware that microwave oven!
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:00:34 -0500

Speaking of warnings, I thought some techwhirlers might enjoy this:

http://www.amasci.com/weird/microexp.html

An excerpt: "Danger: Coffee Explosion -- You warm up a mug of water for a
few minutes in the microwave oven. You
take it out, then you dump in some powdered coffee, tea, sugar, etc....
Dooosh! The water explodes in roiling foam, spraying boiling water all over
your bare skin, and sending you to the emergency ward. I hate it when that
happens."

Want to bet this warning appears in your microwave oven's manual? Don't
think so--not to mention the plasma physics experiments! And you thought
McDonald's had it rough serving coffee safely!

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"I don't necessarily believe everything I say."--Marshall McLuhan