Re: What is a "techie" technical writer?

Subject: Re: What is a "techie" technical writer?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:21:59 -0800

"Thompson, Carole" wrote:

> No you are right Bruce. I don't want to go there. I am unfortunately
> inarticulate today. And the archives are full of eloquent defenses of both
> types. I guess I was really wondering what hiring managers look for on a
> resume when they want a "techie". Are there a lot of ex-programmers (or
> other technical fields) doing technical writing these days?

I'm not sure that hirers have any clear idea of what they need in a
writer. Some seem to be looking for someone with programming
knowledge, but I think that's more of a wish than a reality.

So far as I can see, the vast majority of tech-writers aren't
programmers or even technically oriented at all. They seem more
likely to be Arts majors grateful to learn that they're actually
employable. Since that's my background, I suppose that I can't say
much against it. But I do think that, if you don't have a technical
background when you start, you have to be willing to acquire one.
Otherwise, that ceiling that everyone's been talking about is going
to be lower.

Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"I met my love by the gasworks wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal,
I kissed my love by the factory wall,
Dirty old town, dirty old town."
-Ewan McColl, "Dirty Old Town"

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.