Re: Technical Writers who write functional specifications

Subject: Re: Technical Writers who write functional specifications
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:10:51 -0700

re: Maybe I'm too obliging, but I've generally taken the position that a
technical writer's job is whatever I'm asked to do.

I second this and rest of Bruce's response completely and add that it might
be seen as a compliment to be tasked to write functional specifications.
There has been much discussion on this list as to how much technical
knowledge of the product the tech writer should have, and this looks kind of
like it fits with that. Professionally, this feels like a good
direction--much better than a move toward secretary (take a memo). Seems
effectively resisting the latter might be the only move to be seen by peers
and management as professional or acceptable. A "whatever I'm asked to do"
attitude backed up with competence and a short learning curve makes one a
pretty important person at the company, it seems to me. An "it's not my
job" attitude has its effects as well.