RE: Source Code Documentation Systems?

Subject: RE: Source Code Documentation Systems?
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:08:19 -0700

I have written scripts in FrameScript that parse our source code, identify
variable declaration statements, locate the corresponding comments,
concatenate multi-line comments into a paragraph, strip garbage characters,
and then generate an alphabetized reference manual in FrameMaker. I'm not
sure I would invest in a program to perform these tasks when the processing
that needs to be done is unique in each case. Such scripts are quite simple
to develop, taking less than a day to perfect.

The resulting document describes more than 1000 variables built into our
firmware. The generated document is by no means perfect and is intended only
for use by developers. Nonetheless, this is a convenient way to generate
documents that provide a snapshot of rapidly changing code. The value that
the script provides is the ability to generate the document as often as
needed. If I needed to produce a manual for customers I would view the
generated document as a good starting point, nothing more. I would need to
rewrite and elaborate on each comment in order to produce a manual suitable
for an external audience.

Martin