RE: Riting Errors

Subject: RE: Riting Errors
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:15:55 -0800

Peter said:

>>I still cringe whenever I receive
an e-mail or read a newsnet post that has severe spelling, punctuation or
grammatical errors, particularly if that person professes to be a
professional writer or editor.<<

For information on email etiquette and the history of email, go to
http://list-etiquette.com/links/

Based on my quick review of the links, I didn't find anything along the
lines of running spell check for informal email exchanges. Many of
us--believe it or not--are overwhelmed with projects and work loads that
unfortunately prevent us from just sitting and waiting for email to show up
on our computers.

Requests come in from list members for help, and many of us interrupt our
project work to offer the benefit of our knowledge, skill, and experience to
help others out (at no charge, I might add)...and then someone comes along
and wants to dismiss the content of the email message because of a typo?

Email is popular because it is overwhelmingly informal. And because of that
informality, typos and other such nuances (like emails from people whose
native language is not English) are overlooked by 99.9% of the people on
this and many other similar lists.

Can you tell me, is "anal retentive" spelled with or without a hyphen?

Donn Le Vie
TOES
(Tired Of Emal Snobs)