RE: Machine translation Was RE: TRANSLATIONS

Subject: RE: Machine translation Was RE: TRANSLATIONS
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:29:39 -0500

I seem to remember a book I read about one of the first CD-ROM projects to
be translated (the name of the product escapes me at present), from UK
English to US English.

The passage that was cited was, "The cheetah runs 80 miles flat out."
Translated to UK English, the sentence read, "The cheetah runs 80 miles
apartment out." This was correct. The spelling was fine. Just that the
transliteration program saw "flat" in the UK vernacular and it understood UK
English "flat" to mean US English "apartment" should the editors,
programmers, powers that be have eye-checked the translation, probably yes.
It was unfortunate that the person who caught this was an end-user, but
there you go.

Using transliteration programs oftentimes misses the "sense" and meaning
behind the words. What reads well in one language needs a human touch to
translate to another language. Maybe this isn't always the case, but
oftentimes, I find that I'd opt for the human eye over the programmatic way
of doing things.