RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma

Subject: RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:32:41 -0600

Lots of great ideas here. I fell into tech writing by being hired as a
proposal writer by a high tech company when they had a large department and
forward thinking management that was looking for writers they could train on
the technology. Moved from there to the tech pubs department several years
later.

Great way to learn not only the company, but also the industry since you
answer so many questions from companies wanting to buy your product. It's
especially nice if you have sales and sales support staff and engineers
willing to answer questions and explain things to you. I learned a lot in a
hurry in that job.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas (yep, that one)
mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com

Nancy McDonald wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly w/ Elna... as having had all those experiences, from
the "novice" to the contractor, to the hiring authority, working w/ HR
people in full-time an drecruiters in the contract house, I've seen it all.

In addition to Elna's ideas, <lots of snipping>