Tools: Word98 for Mac--copy-paste quirk resolved?

Subject: Tools: Word98 for Mac--copy-paste quirk resolved?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:47:20 -0500

Several folks working with Word98 on the Mac have reported a problem in
which Word98 would not let them copy text and paste it into the Search and
Replace dialog box. I encountered exactly the same problem, shrugged, and
learned to live with it--until a few days ago. When I switched to using the
Command key at the right side of my keyboard for the Command-V shortcut, I
suddenly discovered that I could now paste text into the Search and Replace
dialog box. Weirdness! There's nothing wrong with the command key on the
left side of my keyboard, since it works (both in Word and elsewhere) for
all other functions. So if this inability to cut and paste has been
bothering you, try my serendipitous discovery to see if it helps you.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer