Re: Break Into Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Break Into Telecommuting
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:38:45 -0500

On 1/29/01 11:19 AM, Bob Morrisette (writer1 -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM) wrote:

>From what I have heard
>in Silicon Valley, the trend is for telecommuting. The alternative
>is much more expensive - build more buildings.

Glad to hear it. Trends (for or against telecommuting) are interesting,
but ultimately it gets personal -- can I, the writer, get a telecommuting
position or not? Whether the trends are down or up, I've telecommuted
about 80% of my time for the past decade, and haven't been out of work
for any of it, so my personal "trend" is that telecommuting is alive and
well.

My advice for would-be telecommuters is to ignore, and avoid contact with
if possible, recruiters and HR people. (Heck, that's my advice even if
telecommuting *isn't* involved.) They'll tell you that telecommuting is
the kiss of death, that you're lucky they're giving you a desk at all,
and that one guy telecommuted once and ended up destroying a small city,
but they don't actually know what they're talking about. Odds are that
they've never even discussed it with the one person who matters: your
would-be boss.

If you want to telecommute, make sure you want the job and that they're
interested in you, and only then bring it up with the person you'll
report to if they offer and you accept. That person is the only one whose
opinion matters anyway, whether it's about telecommuting or anything else
about the job. If they want you for the job, they'll accept you under
almost any reasonable condition, and that's true even in less desperate
job markets than this.

After that, you just have to make sure you can make it work. Don't even
bring it up unless you already have a plan in place for getting the work
done without distractions... but that's another thread altogether.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman