Re: Break Into Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Break Into Telecommuting
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:35:16 -0800

"Holder, Luanne" wrote:

> What have you seen, Bruce, that makes you think companies are moving
> away from telecommuting? I was hoping that they were closer to embracing it.

In my work, I talk to a lot of management types for very
technologically-savvy companies. In the last year, I've noticed a
tendency for telecommuting to be reserved for people that the
company can't get any other way or for long-time employees who have
earned trust. Very few seem willing nowadays to let someone new
telecommute. Most employees can telecommute occasionally, but not on
a regular basis.

I don't know, but I suspect that, with the burst of the dotcom
bubble, many of the business practices associated with it, including
telecommuting, have been discredited.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"In Manhattan's desert twilight, in the death of afternoon,
We stepped hand in hand down Broadway like the first men on the
moon,
And the 'Blackbird' broke the silence as you whistled it so sweet,
And in Brendan Behan's footsteps, I danced up and down the street."
- The Pogues, "Thousands Are Sailing."