Re: Gerber file to .pdf or .jpg

Subject: Re: Gerber file to .pdf or .jpg
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:49:41 -0600

Depends. (BTW, I would heartily recommend *against* JPEG as a format for
Gerber files. JPEG is horrendous in files with thin lines, which a Gerber
files is quite likely to have.)

Where are the Gerber files being generated, at your place or somewhere
else?

Your place: Get a PDFWriter or something similar and simply print from
OrCAD into a pdf file. You won't need the Gerber file yourself.

Somewhere else: Can get tricky. If you have a copy of OrCAD handy, you may
be able to import it without too much trouble (not played around with OrCAD
very much, but we used to have a copy here, so I've seen it, at least) and
then you can use the above scenario.

Failing that, you might want to try a company named Kandu Software in
Cincinnatti OH. They make something called CADMover, which specializes in
taking CAD files from one format to another, and they include EPS at the
very least, and may have a direct to PDF conversion by now. (I don't see
one on their website, www.kandusoftware.com, but it's not very stable on my
system, either, so it may be there, just one some page that doesn't load
for me.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224