Re: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma

Subject: Re: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:16:05 -0600

While I do agree that the qualities mentioned by Elna Tymes are the
MOST desirable in a writer, they are also the LEAST measurable by a
prospective employer....especially when the candidate is attempting to
just break into the field without any experience.

Unfortunately...or fortunately, depending upon your perspective....
the opportunities for non-trained tech writers are becoming more
scarce. Employers don't have the interest, time, or resources to train
a newbie, especially when trained writers are available and can hit
the ground running. If a candidate can find the opportunity, then he
or she should go for it. Just be aware that it is becoming the
exception rather than the rule. The days when anyone can get a tech
writing job are thankfully over. Someone without experience who has
had at least a little training will have something to show for it, and
will have a few clues about how tech writing differs from other types
of writing--- and more importantly, *why* it is different.

Jane