Re: WebWorks question: WebWorks Help vs. JavaHelp

Subject: Re: WebWorks question: WebWorks Help vs. JavaHelp
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:29:31 -0700

Hi, Shelly.

The help will be based on
FrameMaker files which I convert to HTML using WebWorks 6.05.
Preferably, the help should meet the following criteria:

-- Have search capabilities
-- Have an index
-- Have a table of contents
-- Preferably compile into one executable file

I've experimented with WebWorks Help and Java Help. So far, the Java Help
has not compiled properly (apparently I'm missing the jhindexer, which I
can't for the life of me find). WebWorks Help compiles into a cab and jar
file, which do nothing when I double-click them (they're supposed to execute
the help).

Actually, the CAB and JAR files contain the Java applets that provide the TOC, index, and search capabilities. The help isn't compiled into them by any means. To launch the help system, you need to double-click on wwhelp.htm. As far as I know, JavaHelp isn't compiled either. The only help formats I know of (that are publicly available) are WinHelp and HTML Help, and neither will work on Unix. You might consider developing separate output for each (HTML Help for Win32, and WWHelp for Unix).

Any opinions as to which WebWorks template is better, Java Help or WebWorks
Help?

I prefer WebWorks Help to JavaHelp. JavaHelp is slower (though neither is particularly speedy to load), and it has some display quirks that make it frustrating to work with.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.