Machine Translation - Systran?

Subject: Machine Translation - Systran?
From: "David Harrison" <david -at- pmssystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:23:06 -0000

While I would never trust user-manual translation to any machine, (all ours
are done by a reputable agency), we are however interested in some
reasonable translation software to decipher articles that we see in foreign
magazines. This can be machine translation as we only need to get the gist
of the article, (so that accuracy becomes less important than content).
Unfortunately, the recent thread on machine translation didn't throw up any
recommendations.
We're currently thinking about Systran - has anyone used it in similar
circumstances or are there any better recommendations out there?
If anyone has experience TIA. And if anyone else in the group wants to know
the results, drop me a line and I'll forward the final opinions.

David
david -at- pmssystems -dot- com