RE: Machine Translation - Systran? - dictionary helps

Subject: RE: Machine Translation - Systran? - dictionary helps
From: Susan Harkus <Susan -dot- Harkus -at- xt3 -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:12:34 +1100

Hi David,
I used an economy version of SYSTRAN to test translate a set of documentation that I had written for a product (English-French bi-directional version)

The secret is the customer-specific dictionary. Initially, I thought that the dictionary was just a matter of including target language equivalents of terminology specific to the content I developed.

What I realised was that the dictionary is really about specifying how particular English words should be parsed.

If you want to use the software to read articles, you would still find value in building a custom dictionary of common expressions over time.

The disadvantage of all machine translation software is that you have to buy particular language combinations. For example, it costs more to have software that will translate both French and Spanish into English.

SYSTRAN may be useful to you but if you have a single language target for articles, I would suggest that you test a number of software products to determine which best parses and renders your language target.

The SYSTRAN product that I used has been renamed but is described at
http://www.systransoft.com/ProStandard.html

Susan Harkus,
Sydney, Australia

This email may contain privileged information and/or confidential information only for the use of the addressee, or to the person responsible for delivering it to the person addressed. You may not use, copy or deliver this to anyone else. If you receive this email by mistake, please immediately notify us by telephone. Thank you. XT3 Pty Ltd Ph: +61 2 99002000 Fax: +61 2 99002010