Telecrastinating

Subject: Telecrastinating
From: NewellMarian -at- cs -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:29:43 EST

As I'm not American, I suppose I can ignore the generalisations made on
racial lines in this thread. However, I resent very much the suggestion that
the vast majority of teleworking technical communicators are dishonest.

I am a freelance technical author in the UK. I charge by the hour and bill
for the hours I actually work â to do otherwise is stealing. If I don't work,
I don't get paid. And no, I am not billing for the time taken to submit this
message.

I belong to a group of independent authors: many telework and most are far
too busy to waste time. As I have done no structured research, I cannot make
definitive statements about the percentages of people who are productive and
non-productive in office and home environments. However, I can state with
certainty that my PERSONAL experience in the UK contract market is quite
different from Andrew's in the US permanent market.

Marian Newell

MarianNewell -at- newellporter -dot- co -dot- uk
+44 (0)1344 626895
<A HREF="http://www.newellporter.co.uk";>http://www.newellporter.co.uk</A>

Newell-Porter Ltd
Writing and Consultancy Services