Request for help from a lurker

Subject: Request for help from a lurker
From: pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:33:45 +0000

Help!

I'm using Word 97 SR-1. In the past I have created documents with separate
sections for each 'chapter'. This enabled me to have different headers and
footers for the first page of each. In the footer of all pages I just had a
running page number (1,2,3,...etc.)

Now I've been told that all page numbers need to be in the format page 1 of
x. I inserted a 'numpages \* MERGEFORMAT' field for this purpose, and
everything was fine. However, now every time I open the document, this
field has reverted to '1' on each page. The only way to change this is to
go into the footer for each section and update it using F9. As I have
selected Update Fields Before Printing from Tools>Options, the fields
update when I print it. However, when I close the document and then open it
again; same old problem.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Peter Kingston

Technical Author
Nomad Software
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7292 2413
e-mail: pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk