RE: OT: Tech writers and cookbooks

Subject: RE: OT: Tech writers and cookbooks
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:17:16 -0800

I have a cookbook from Australia. In the back there is a cross-reference to the names of foods (Australian/US etc.) and also a conversion chart for measurements and such. To me that's not only good writing, but it doubled the market for the cookbook itself.

Marilynne

At 10:48 AM 1/31/01 -0600, David Berg wrote:

> Funny you should mention eggplants. I had this very experience last week
> with an eggplant I needed to use.
>
> Another TW, indexing, and even internationalization tie-in: some of my
> cookbooks are from the UK, so I had to remember to look up
> "aubergine." I'm
> sure that there are many more examples like this. For instance, chick peas
> also need to be cross-referenced with garbanzo beans.

Betty Crocker's site has a page called "What's on Hand?" I suppose you could
call it an electronic index of sorts, a search engine that offers recipe
ideas according to the ingredients you select. Of course, they also count on
you having additional staple ingredients, so it's far from foolproof, but
it's one of the more useful ideas I've ever seen for a web page.

David Berg

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM