Re: Aphorisms

Subject: Re: Aphorisms
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:58:14 -0800

From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>

[...]

There will be
another release, or next year's model, or next week's issue, or another
production run.

This can be used as a reason not to care one way or another if the doc is any good. Not by anyone on this list, of course.

If that were not the case, then every product on the
market would spring in full-blown perfection from the void.

As would its documentation, putting us all out of work. Of course, being the lazy something-for-nothing swine all employees (that's us) are, that would be fine. ;)

This is basic, and it is something that the reluctant engineer has to
accept just as surely as the reluctant writer.

Reluctant?

Now, as I said, I'm a reformed perfectionist, than which there is none
more sanctimonious; so I may be ruffling some feathers. But I think I've
mostly got this right. At least this is a little essay in that direction
;-) In any case, it took me a long time to accept this, and I think I'm
a better person for it.

Dick

kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net wrote:

> As a former fine artist, I can relate to the engineers' reluctance to let go

[...]

A quotation from my personal commonplace book (*sententiae*, wise sayings, aphorisms, fortune cookies, scraps of poetry, and smart remarks) is this:
"Were I to await perfection, my book would never be finished."
--Tai T'ung (whoever s/he was)

Cheers,

Maggie Secara
Oh and yes, the Elizabethan World is still at http://ren.dm.net

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.