Re: Affect and Effect

Subject: Re: Affect and Effect
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:10:42 -0800

What a fun and great subject.

Use affect. In this case, it might be better and more understandable if
the word "change" were used.

(for anyone who thinks that "were" is the wrong word, I have used the
conditional tense; reference "if")

And here I lean on something I put together for a column in a weekly
newsletter I do that was picked up by a columnist in a local newspaper
and praised.

Affect & Effect

"Affect" is always a verb. It is used to indicate the object has been
changed by something the subject has done.
"Effect" is usually a noun. It can also be a verb that is used in the
place of "create."

Examples:

The moon affect the colors in a strange manner.
The moon had a strange effect on the colors.
My new carpenter skills had a positive effect on the cabinets I made.
The whole idea was to effect a change in my attitude.
The effect of the rain was mud all over.

Thanks for the chance to discuss this.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman