RE: Teleproductivity

Subject: RE: Teleproductivity
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:49:27 -0600

>I don't understand this magic number of 8 hours a day. If I'm more
>productive at home and can complete my work in 6 hours instead of the 8
>hours it would take me to complete the work at the office, why shouldn't I
>just work 6 hours at home? For that matter, if I can complete the
>responsibilities of my full-time job in 30 hours a week, why should I sit
>around the office for another 10 hours a week?

This is why I don't ever want to go into management. ;-)

But if, God forbid, I were your boss, I would tell you that you are not paid by the project, so you do not get to work by the project. You are paid to be available for other tasks that pop up -- if you are my PowerPoint expert, and I have a question at 3:00, I do not want to call you only to hear your message that you have gone home because you finished writing everything you planned to write today. You are paid to be available to SMEs, artists, writers, editors, etc. who might have to ask you a question at 9:00 am or 4:00 pm, and if you're not available when *they're* available (IOW, during those standard office hours), you are delaying *their* work. If you can do your work in 25% less time than it takes everyone else, good for you. Use the extra time for training (yourself or others) or defragging your hard drive or some other useful pursuit.

Then I'd close my office door and dig a flask out of my purse while muttering about slackers and missing strawberries. Man, I'm glad I'm not in management.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc