RE: 8 Hour Day/40 Hour Week (Was Teleproductivity)

Subject: RE: 8 Hour Day/40 Hour Week (Was Teleproductivity)
From: David Arran <darran -at- aatech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:52:06 -0500

Donn Le Vie said:

<snip>
The fact that you can work in your skivies, take
some time out in the middle of the day to play with your kids, or workout at
the gym when it's not crowded are all benefits to US. Justification for
working at home needs to focus on the benefits to the employer.
</snip>

I disagree, I'm one of those contrary individuals who believes that a
contract of employment is an agreement between two parties. One with a
skill to sell, and one with the wherewithal to buy it. In this model
justification for working at home needs to focus on the benefits to both
employer and employee equally.

I realise that in the rampant capitalism of the USA, where employers have
all the rights, and employees have none (OK, read that as employers have
most, and employees have few), this makes me out of step with most of the
country. The thing is, I don't care, and until US managers realise, like
many European ones have, that investment in employees really does pay off,
with loyalty, effort and perseverance, then they'll continue to find that
said employees will insist on going where the grass is greener, and costing
said employer mucho greenbacks to find, hire and train the former employee's
replacement. We're funny (strange) that way.

I'm sad to say though, that it looks as if employers will continue to bemoan
the fact that their employees are lazy, moneygrubbing good-for-nothings,
because they've made them in their own image.

Ho hum, back to work.

David J. Arran
Corporate Trainer
Kaba Benzing America
305-819-4000 ext. 357
darran -at- aatech -dot- com
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read.

-Groucho Marx, 1895-1977