RE: The Sub Shop Guy

Subject: RE: The Sub Shop Guy
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:44:23 -0600

~> -----Original Message-----
~> From: Rick Kirkham [mailto:rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com]
~>
~> Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> ranted:
~>
~> > The reason your company exists and you have a job is because some
~> > dedicated fool *did* devote a big chunk of their lives to building
~> > that company.
~>
~> What gave you the idea that all companies are built by
~> people working long
~> hours? I think that's a rarity. Successful company founders
~> are mainly those
~> with luck, intelligence, a good idea, and the charm to sell
~> that idea to
~> investors.
</snip>

Luck, intelligence and all are wonderful, but if you don't work you're butt
off to produce something, you'll never be a success. I think the dotcom
failures prove that point.

<snip>
~>
~> > If it wasn't for the hard work and dedication
~> > of people like the Sub Shop Guy, you wouldn't have a dog to pet.
~>
~> I'd say "you can't be serious," except that I know you are.
~> The long hours
~> of the Sub Shop Guy ensures that he doesn't need to hire
~> someone to work the
~> 2nd shift, so he can sell you sandwiches a bit cheaper than
~> otherwise. Big
~> deal. If all the people who now work 15 hour days cut back
~> to 8 hours a day,
~> there'd be only a slight slowing in the rate at which the
~> quality of our
~> lives improves.
~>
</snip>

The money saved on the sandwiches allow people to afford a dog. :) (Even
when he licks patches of fur off and you have to take him to the vet;
$115.00 to find out he has separation anxiety. *sheesh*)

~> > hard work + dedication = wealth/freedom.
~>
~> I don't object to hard work. I object to long hours. There's
~> a difference.
~> (And tell me, by what bizarre notion of "freedom" is a man
~> who works 15
~> hours a day "free"?????)
~>
~> > If you don't want to work hard, no problemo. Just don't
~> expect to get the
~> > same
~> > wealth and/or freedom as the men and women who do.
~>
~> Wealth correlates with luck, with intelligence, with charm,
~> and a tiny bit
~> with hard work, and it correlates not at all with long hours. Freedom
~> doesn't correlate with any of them very much.

When I was a waitress, I consistently made more money than the other
servers. It wasn't because I was charming or luckier than any of them. I
worked harder. As a technical writer, it is my job to make documentation
that is useful -- regardless of what personality traits I have. They don't
pay me overtime for working late, but I do it when I have to because my job
is to create useful documentation. This is why they hired me, not to warm a
seat for 8 hours a day. When it comes time for me to leave this job and move
on, I will command a much higher price because of all the hard work I'm
doing now. (Then, maybe, I can afford 2 dogs and Bismarck will stop licking
himself!)

< snip>
~>
~> > And just so there is something about technical
~> communications in this
~> > message.
~> > What is the deal with that whacky FrameMaker?
~>
~> Yeah. And how 'bout that Robohelp, too? :-)

Can you use these products together?