Re: Bad Fit?

Subject: Re: Bad Fit?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:11:12 -0800

Maggie Secara wrote:

> Yes (violins up and under) I was told on Monday, after a week on the job,
> that "it isn't working out" although no other details were forthcoming. The
> nearest I got to reasons was something about "directness issues" whatever
> that means, and "issues of style" although, I hadn't written much yet and no
> one had remarked on my writing style. Oh yes, and "this is a very unique
> place, and they can usually tell in the first week if someone is going to
> work out or not." How nice.

While somebody might have taken exception to you, or made a snap
judgement, the comments you were given sound very much like an
excuse. Unless you were totally unfit - which sounds unlikely, to
judge from your postings on this list - something else was going on.
Quite possibly, that something else had nothing to do with you;
perhaps it was a budget cut or a reorganization.

However, you'll never know. All that matters is that you were let
go. Accept the fact, keep your cursing private and the position off
your resume, and move on. Even though the situation may cause some
hardship now, you might be ultimately better off. If the company
acts in such an arbitrary way, it's probably not a place where any
sensible person would want to be.

I seem to recall that you said a couple of weeks ago that you had
another job offer at the same time that you had this one. Could you
possibly contact the other company and say that you had
reconsidered?

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"Wherever we go, we celebrate the land that makes us refugees."
-The Pogues, "Thousands Are Sailing"