Re: Finding a good job title

Subject: Re: Finding a good job title
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:47:20 -0800

"Carnall, Jane" wrote:

> I didn't know Dracula was subbed to this list... I thought he was a tax
> accountant. (You know, the kind of people who can get blood from... well,
> anything.)

He lurks, of course.

> I would have put it down to our being relentlessly fond of playing with
> words.

Well, I've always enjoyed joke titles - the more ridiculous, the
better. I've thought of using "General Dogsbody" or "Token
Non-Coder" myself.

But I just don't take the matter very seriously - nor would I stay
longer than necessary in a corporate culture where my worth was
measured by my title.

At least people who write to the list asking for others to make a
style decision for them are getting on with their work, no matter
how roundabout their methods. But all the discussion about whether
to be a "writer" or a "communicator," about whether people can
prefix "Senior" to their titles, about being an STC "leader," about
being a "writer" or an "editor" or a "manager" or a "director" -
yawn! Let's talk about something interesting, like everyone's latest
dental surgery.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"Of course, few admitted, even to themselves, that they bore
responsibility for their plight. They preferred to see themselves as
victims, and, like victims everywhere, they found explanations that
exonerated themselves from blame."
-Mike Dash, "Tulipomania"