RE: weird job titles

Subject: RE: weird job titles
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:56:35 -0000

Beth Kane wrote:
>Last year, before I took this job, I applied at AOL. As they proceeded
>toward hiring me, they said they had to think of some other job title,
>because the tech writer title would not bring me near as much money as I
had
>been making. I was told that's just the way it was at AOL -- HR dictated
>that people who were called tech writers, senior or not, could not get past
>a certain (low) salary level.

Isn't it amazing how HR departments find new ways to justify *their*
salaries? I've heard things from HR (from companies in the past, she adds
hastily: HR at Compaq have always been helpful whenever I've contacted them)
like "We can't let you give applicants a writing test. That would
discriminate against applicants who didn't know English." (Uh, yes.) "All
the documents have to be in Arial. Arial gives a better impression and is
easier to read." (Isn't that part of *our* job?)

Still. They have to be the only group of people who have a less-recognisable
job title than technical writers. "What do you do?" - "I'm a Human
Resourcer."

Jane Carnall
Des Brillig Twas et slithy toves ont fait gyre et gimble à wabe. Ceux
borogroves et le momerathsoutgrabe étaient entiers mimsy.