creating icon files

Subject: creating icon files
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:37:40 -0500

Wow!
You all are incredible! I posted my request for info on creating an .ICO
file around 5:30 last night, and before I left I was downloading shareware
to test. By 10 this morning, I have an icon that the marketing department is
begging me for! Thanks for all the great information.

By the way, here's what I learned:
* Most icons are 32x32 pixels or 16x16 pixels.
* Saving my file as a .BMP and then changing the extension to an .ICO
"sorta" worked. I'm running Windows 2000 and it didn't pick up the
transparency. One helpful list member warned me this would happen if the
graphic was set to more than 256 colors (which it was). Plus, when I tried
to import the .ICO into the compiler I'm using, it didn't recognize it.
* If you create the graphic in a tool like Photoshop, watch out for
the aliasing effect. My transparency is not perfect because of the "alias"
pixels around the graphic. It actually ended up having a little "halo" look.
* There is tons of freeware/shareware out there that will do an actual
conversion (and help you build libraries while you're at it). I ended up
using IconCool just because I found it quickly and it was a short download.
It seemed to work fine.

Thanks again!

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.