Library

Subject: Library
From: Gloria Etherington <GE -at- Alphametrics -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:38:13 -0000

Hi
I'm a newbie so please be kind to me.

I've been given the task of organising and running a Library for four sites.
Each site will have there own documentation which they will have to look
after themselves i.e update etc.

All sites will have to do things in a similar way i.e. catalogue files, use
the same document templates etc., same tools.

At the moment our files are kept in various ways - some by project and some
by useage of software.

The documents are for internal use mainly, although some user manuals are
also included.

At the moment we find that we had to 'hunt' for what we want if we don't
know the project name and vice versa for the other files.

Has anyone any advice they can give me on how to go about resolving issues
and even the types of issues that I may incur (so that I can hopefully avoid
them).

I am looking at ISO standards at the moment.

How do you organise and catalogue your files - is there a 'tool' that you
use.

I've thought about using excel to input all the document titles etc and use
this like a database so that I can issue document numbers etc and also get
'stats' fairly easily.

Gloria

which it is addressed. Any retransmission, dissemination or other use of
this information other than by the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error please delete it immediately and
inform the sender. Any opinions contained in this message and any
attachments are not necessarily those of Alphametrics Ltd.