Re: Consultant vs. Contractor

Subject: Re: Consultant vs. Contractor
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:44:59 -0800

Jon Leer wrote:

> Over the years I have heard people refer to themselves as "contractors" and
> others, "consultants". Can you enlighten me as to the differences between
> these terms, in regards to technical communication?

About $20-$40 an hour. :-)

Seriously, one answer is that the difference is pure marketing, with
"consultant" implying a higher status.

Another answer would be that a contractor is a short-term employee,
usually with a specific task to perform. Often, a contractor's only
point of contact with the company is his or her immediate boss. By
contrast, a consultant is more of a business partner. He or she may
be brought in to do a specific task, but may also be expected to
organize or to make suggestions about how to improve the way that a
company operates. Often, too, a consultant has access to senior
executives in the company.

Either way, aim to be accepted as a consultant. It will be a good
career move.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"I got sinister things waiting for you in my rattle-bag,
Egyptian rings, and the dust of kings and the tooth of hag,
The bones of Keats, the tongues of cheats and a mad dog's eye
I'm going to make you love me, and you won't know why."
-Richard Thompson, "The Business on You"