re: word templates vs. layout - wrapup/thanx

Subject: re: word templates vs. layout - wrapup/thanx
From: "Cayenne Woods" <cwoods -at- purplevoice -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:14:48 +0000

Hi all

Thanks for all the feedback. Much was stuff I already know, but helpful to hear
that we all face similar issues. We're just trying to get some processes in
place, and even though my instincts are good it's good to hear how other people
deal, and affirms that I'm on the right track.

We're not talking about sending Word docs to customers, just using internally.
They will usually be PDFs or printed when they go out. So the issue is about
using the templates within the company. And yes, the sales person was talking
about everything matching _exactly_. I agree completely with the look and feel
issue, even with online docs, but there's gotta be an outline and room for
adjustments or it won't work.

I also understand that I'll need to put together a document or quick guide
showing folks how to use these templates and the styles, as well as set language
and some other issues. That is the key, but the things have to be usable in the
first place or nobody will use them.

We're quite small - I'm the sole tech writer, there's a pa involved in the
process who's made lots of (perfectly usable, I might add) templates, and then
this sales folk. So yes, we will have to compromise. One thing I'm going to
suggest (again) to her right now is that she look at what the two of us have
done and try to use what's there, rather than reinvent the wheel.

I recently got a 50-page document that nobody had thought to warn me about or
leave time for me to edit, and the whole thing was using 'normal' text formatted
to look like headers and such. Nightmare - including trying to pdf it, as there
was no basis for table of contents or anything. This is the kind of thing I'd
like to resolve for my benefit, and along with sending out some guidelines about
letting people know they need to include me in their timeframes and give warning
on large docs, etc, and sending guidelines on using styles, we're getting there.

Thanks again for the feedback
Cayenne

This communication contains information which is confidential
and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s). Please note that any distribution, copying
or use of this communication, or the information in it, is strictly
please notify us by email or by telephone (+44 20 8848 6644)
and then delete the email and any copies of it.

This communication is from Purple Voice Ltd., whose principal
office is at Dawley Road, Hayes, Middlesex, England.

checked for the presence of computer viruses.